Background Knowledge

University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, BC, Canada

My academic education experience has been primarily fostered at the University of Northern British Columbia. I completed a double Bachelors degree in English and History in May of 2019, after which I was immediately accepted into the Bachelors of Education program (Secondary Stream).

The joy of studying at a small-scale research institution is that:

• you build relationships with your professors and supervisors
  • you have the opportunity to engage in the research of your professors/supervisors
  • you are forced to study in content areas foreign to you because you are at the mercy of the course selection list

Inside and Outside the Classroom

Thanks to these circumstances, I feel that I have received a fairly well-rounded education. I have studied everything from the tides of German nationalism (with Dr. Benjamin Bryce), the ins and outs of historical conceptualizations of witches and witch-hunting in Early Modern Europe (with Dr. Dana Wessell-Lightfoot), to in-depth critical analyses of fantasy, sci-fi, and theoretical cinema (with Dr. Stan Beeler and Dr. Maryna Romanets) among other topics. I have been given the opportunity to explore, conduct student-based inquiry, and touch on several content areas through multiple perspectives and at varying levels of depth.

Outside of the classroom, I feel that my education has been well-rounded with life experience. I have had the opportunity to travel around the world, act in theatrical productions, work with non-profit organizations, and determine the value of self-expression through my own art.